O que procura nos candidatos
- You must have the right to live and work in the country in which the role is based, ie Portugal;
- Ability to work and travel in the region without restrictions;
- Minimum of 1-year experience in a similar role;
- Experience in working with a diverse team;
- Experience of an ERP system;
- Qualified Accountant – Degree in Accounting;
- B2 level of english.
Que funções irão desempenhar
This role is responsible for the end to end accounting process in the country, including month and year end close, and ensures consistent, accurate and robust financial accounting processes in line with accounting practices and corporate policies. This is a supporting role in the Financial Controlling and Accounting process which is a key function in the new organisational structure emerging from the Financial Transparency recommendations.
The role will manage two accountants based in Portugal.
Accountabilities, responsibilities and main duties:
The post-holder will:
- Complete all financial tasks required for the financial month end process, being accountable to the Financial Controller for the pre-closing and month end closing steps, including maintenance of accounting records. As part of this the role will also be responsible for carrying out all accounting transactions and adjustments (accruals, deferrals and provisions), including Intercompany accounting, ensuring appropriate use of these in line with accounting rules;
- Complete all financial tasks required for year-end process, being accountable to the Finance Controller for all the year-end closing steps. Preparation and submission of all year-end returns;
- Assist with manual journals and off-system payments requests ensuring accuracy and compliance with relevant policies;
- Assist with reconciliation of all relevant accounts and ensure that this is completed to corporate standards;
- Complete all tasks required for Level 1 FCCF submission and approval for the country ensuring that it is completed as per corporate requirements;
- Ensure that debts policy is followed, via sharing reports with operational teams and ensuring that bad debts provisions are provided for and/or write-off requests are submitted;
- Prepare and submit cash flow returns for approval on portal and and ensure that this is completed to corporate standards;
- Ensure that local external accounting requirements are adhered to;
- Preparation of local Tax submissions and other statutory returns to Regional Financial Controller / Financial Controller for approval;
- Support in identifying issues and resolution in relation to financial accounting matters;
- Produce periodic reports relating to financial accounting for the operation as requested by Managers / Financial Controller;
- Complete Travel & Expenses audits as per policy addressing issues in a promptly manner;
- Supports Financial Controller with the creation of billing documents once the process has been initiated by the cluster / country operation;
- Support the process of Income in kind submissions including maintenance of supporting documentation;
- Responsible for provision of information to internal / external auditors;
- Assist with preparation to internal / external audit visit and in the implementation of audit recommendations;
- Responsible for ensuring integrity of cash collection process;
- Responsible for ensuring integrity of customers refund process;
- Ensure compliance with treasury policy, maintain banking relationship via lialising with banks on a regular basis, maintain bank mandates by updating, reviewing roles and responsabilities as per corporate standards;
- Complete relevant tasks required for local insurances such as life/medical for the country employees;
- Manage fixed assets register (FAR) and reconciliation.
Regional and Functional Team Working:
- Ensure Performance Management process in undertaken to meet corporate requirements;
- Contribute to ensuring the policies, procedures and systems are delivered with integrity;
- Work closely and effectively as part of the regional and global finance teams;
- Actively support equality and diversity and work to the British Council’s EDI policy at all times.
Quais os benefícios oferecidos
- Pay band: PB6 - G;
- Department: Finance;
- Contract type: Fixed Term Contract;
- Duration: 1-year contract with possibility of renewal - 16/11/2020 to 15/11/2021.
Outros aspectos a referir
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language. We work in two ways – directly with individuals to transform their lives, and with governments and partners to make a bigger difference for the longer term, creating benefit for millions of people all over the world. We help young people to gain the skills, confidence and connections they are looking for to realise their potential and to participate in strong and inclusive communities. We support them to learn English, to get a high-quality education and to gain internationally recognised qualifications. Our work in arts and culture stimulates creative expression and exchange and nurtures creative enterprise. We connect the best of the UK with the world and the best of the world with the UK. These connections lead to an understanding of each other's strengths and of the challenges and values that we share. This builds trust between people in the UK and other nations which endures even when official relations may be strained. We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
The British Council is committed to a policy of equality and to valuing diversity and is keen to reflect the diversity of the societies in which we work at every level within the organisation. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. We aim to abide by and promote equality legislation by following both the letter and the spirit of it to avoid unjustified discrimination, recognising discrimination as a barrier to equality of opportunity, inclusion and human rights. All staff worldwide are required to ensure their behaviour is consistent with our policies.
The British Council has Disability Confident Employer Status. We offer a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for the role. Applicants are encouraged to highlight any specific requirements or adjustments needed to enable participation in the recruitment process.
The British Council is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Council’s Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.